1. Great On-Air Talent
- Employ the best morning show talent you can afford
- Develop the real characters within your talent and some fun comedy characters
- Make sure you have talent on your station that shapes public opinion
2. Imaginative Music Programming
- Keep the music fresh and the listeners interested with special ‘themed weekends’
- Sprinkle the output with fun and engaging daily music features
- Highlight and reinforce your stations core sound / core artists with exclusive previews and premieres
3. Creative Promotions
- Run promotions that listeners want to get involved with and are interested in listening to… even if they don’t take part!
- Create promotions that your listeners want to tell their friends and family about
- Extend the promotion into other media and find suitable partners to maximise your impact
4. Listener Focused
- Closely define your target audience and be absolutely focused on delivering radio for them
- Get to know as much as possible about your target listeners. By truly understanding them, you can create the radio they want
- Care passionately about your listeners. Be your listener’s best friend!
5. Be Local
- Make your station an essential part of everyday life in your area. Deliver great local news and information. Being really local is immensely powerful
- Champion the area you broadcast to! Your station should be the Number 1 cheerleader for all the places it broadcasts to. Your station loves living there!
- Reflect local issues and concerns and even take on local causes being the focal point of any campaigning
6. Outstanding Benchmarks
- Create benchmarks that listeners want to come back to you for time and time again. Make unmissable radio!
- Develop some specific ‘listener appointments’ at key times across different dayparts
- Become famous for a specific benchmark, so that listeners say “I love that station, because they do… insert your own brilliant benchmark here!”
7. Be Consistent
- We live in a complicated and unpredictable world. Give listeners what they want and expect from your radio station, and they’ll trust and rely on you
- Resist the temptation to change things for the sake of change
- Brand building takes time. Be patient!
8. Be Surprising
- Consistency doesn’t have to be boring! Don’t give listeners the chance to get bored with your station or allow them to feel you are mundane
- Regularly do something different or give familiar content a little ‘spike’ or twist
- Occasionally, you should do something that makes your listeners turn up the radio to make sure they heard it correctly!
9. Be Unique
- The world is full of ‘sound-a-like’ radio stations. Make yours stand out from the crowd
- Encourage unique presenters that having something to say. Your talent should differentiate you every time
- Create radio that hasn’t been heard before in your market with new shows, features and promotions
10. Power of Emotion
- Radio is brilliant at conveying the full range of human emotions. Encourage your presenters to explore this on air. Don’t let them be boring!
- Allow listeners to show sadness or anger as well as happiness and joy
‘Contrast’ provides a far more interesting dynamic to your station. Use it and your station will stand out from the crowd